Saving $ on bills...

>> June 16, 2008

Precious over at http://frugalmakescents.blogspot.com inspired me to write this post. She has been talking about all sorts of frugal ideas on ways to save money. I have been working on lower our bills and had some success on Sunday with cable. While its not a deal I found to buy.. it is about saving money, so I will also post my ideas here.

We actually have digital cable with hd and dvr + cable Internet, which has been costing us about $138 a month. I know some people do without such luxuries, but we "need" these. :) I have been wanting to switch to Qwest for TV and Internet to take advantage of a promotional rate, but Internet isn't available at our house. Anyway, I have called Comcast several times, always being transferred to our local office, who has been unable to offer us a better deal, other than to give us movie channels which we aren't interested in. So I tried their "chat" option on the comcast website and "raquel" was able to help me out. She was able to lower our bill by ~$50 for the next 6 months! I just "made" $300!

Hopefully qwest Internet will be available in our area by then... if not then who knows.

I am also working on our auto insurance and possibly our home insurance, I will let you know how it goes.

1 comments:

Precious June 16, 2008 at 1:21 PM  

KC,

Terrific job on not giving up when you didn't get offered the deal the first time that you tried. I didn't realize you had Comcast down there. I thought Cox had a Monopoly in our state. I hear you on the cable and internet being a necessity for you. DH loves his sports so we can't go without cable either and I love my internet just as much so that is a necessity. Each of us have to determine what is a necessity and what is a luxury. But that doesn't mean that you can't get a better price. While checking your insurances, check out Farmers. We switched from Traveler's a few years ago and Farmers has saved us about $400. a month. Also look at upping your deductibles. Since Homeowner insurance companies cancel you for putting in small claims, think about going to a $1000 deductible or whatever deductible wouldn't break you if you had a large claim. We had a small roof leak that cost us $700. to repair and didn't put in for insurance on it because so many people have been cancelled for doing that. So we decided that we could raise our deductible to
$1000.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP