Organizing to save money!

>> August 01, 2008

Why is organizing essential to deals?


One example is maintaining your stockpile of household goods. It takes a bit of effort to get organized and then to periodically reorganize it. I am lucky to have two food pantry areas, one a typical closet in the kitchen and also a big wire rack in my laundry/storage room. I had "organize pantry" on my to do list for a couple months now, and with a little one sometimes non essentials just don't happen. I am very happy to say my food is reorganized again. I have plenty of bbq sauce, marinade, tomato soup, chicken noodle soup, apple juice, crystal light, pasta, fruit snacks, and popcorn....

In fact, I may need to calculate how much bbq sauce and marinade we will reasonably use before it expires. I may need to donate some of it.

I also found several salad dressing that had expired, which is a bummer. Knowing what you have stocked up on already is essential to your success. Nobody wants to let things expire or on the other hand run out of stuff that you KNOW you can get cheap. Re-organizing a couple times a year is essential to my sanity!

I don't have any before pictures of my messy food pantries, but here are a couple of the nicely organized ones.

My big wire shelves work really well in my storage room, we actually have a 2nd one, but there is not enough space for it. We have a chest freezer and fridge in there on the food side (the other side is the laundry area). This picture also shows the edge of the paper products stockpile on top of the fridge.

I am constantly debating what products I should have on the bottom shelves in the corner, since that is the hardest place to get things from....
Here you can see my food and laundry areas colliding. We have a bar above the freezer to hang dry clothes and actually a shelf above the bar for storage cleaners, air fresheners, etc.
What is crazy about this "old" fridge is that it came with our house, and we actually tried to sell it on craigslist. We did sell the washer and dryer that came with house and had someone come and look at the fridge (for their garage), but they decided they didn't want to spend $50 on a fridge when the age was unknown. It has been one of the best things we didn't sell. :)
When the couple passed, we decided to wait and sell it after we were done remodeling, that way we could have cold drinks in the house while work was happening. Then, after awhile we decided that we might be able to fit the fridge in our laundry/pantry area with our chest freezer. I can't imagine not having it. The extra fridge space is great for drinks or other cold food deals I find, plus that is our THIRD freezer space since we already owned the chest freezer. So THANK YOU to the couple that passed on the fridge!!!

5 comments:

Heather August 1, 2008 at 11:57 AM  

So pretty! LOVE the shoe holder idea.

Do you notice any increase in your electricity bill with the extra fridge and freezer?

kc August 1, 2008 at 12:28 PM  

Hi Heather,

I am not really sure because we were lucky and able to remodel this house while we were living in our other house, so we never had bills without the extra fridge. We have had the freezer for several years (maybe even 5+) and I don't recall when we bought it and started using it that the e- bill was much higher.
However, we have always had the freezer in the house, I know sometimes people put fridge/freezers in the garage, but I think that would pull a lot more e-.

The storage/laundry room is one of my favorite rooms .. My husband laughs when I tell guests that, but seriously he just doesn't understand!

I am not sure where I saw the shoe holder idea (a magazine maybe) and I actually used to have ALL of my spices in it, however, we ended up with some stainless steel open storage/hanging bar things from IKEA that includes a spice rack. So only the "extra/wierd" spices are in the shoe rack. Lots of random things fit in the shoe pockets though and its a great use of space! I love to maximum space usage!

Amiyrah August 2, 2008 at 10:52 AM  

Hi Heather!

Figured I'd stop by your blog since you graced your presence at mine. And I love it! Nice to find yet another mama of a young one through the blogs. BTW, I love stockpile/organization pics and yours definitely didn't disappoint! I can't wait until we get a house so I can build a proper stockpile. Great post!

Precious August 2, 2008 at 1:44 PM  

KC,

Your stockpile is so nice and organized; I don't know how you do it with a little one who takes up 99% of your time. :-)

You sure don't need any more Chicken Noodle Soup. A little tip on those: If you ever need cream of chicken soup for a crockpot dish and you have none, the chicken noodle soup works. I just put a can in my blender and then add just a touch of cornstarch if it is not thick enough. It works in a pinch!

I don't think any of us Arizonans need any more Kleenex unless we can get it totally free!

Happy Organizing! :-)

kc August 2, 2008 at 3:23 PM  

Hi amiyrah thanks for stopping by :)
Precious.. I am so excited to have such a nice kleenex stockpile, I haven't had a free one before, the lousy .40/3 MFC just never make a great deal. Oh and about half of my soup is tomato and a few creme of mushroom thrown in, I didn't realize all the boxes I had said chicken noodle. :) Thanks for the crockpot idea, I will keep that in mind.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP