New Recipe Attempts: Lazy Mom's Tator Soup and Sour Cream Muffins!!

>> November 21, 2009


I decided to try out two of 4HATS recipes for dinner on Thursday. I snagged a 5lb bag of potatoes at Frys for $0.58, so potato soup seemed to be in order. I tried my dad's potato soup recipe recently, which was yummy, but I wanted to try the "Lazy" version that 4hat often makes!
The Lazy Mom's Tator Soup recipe can be found here. She often pairs it with Sour Cream Muffins, her recipe for that is here.
Potato Soup Verdict:
First off.. let me say that Potato Soup turned out Awesome. I actually ended up doubling the recipe, so I used the entire 5lb bag of potatoes. My husband loved it and said he preferred it to my dad's version! However, I wouldn't call it a "Lazy" recipe, because peeling and dicing 5 lbs of potatoes takes a bit of time. It was definitely worth it though. We had the in-laws over for dinner who enjoyed a bowl, a friend came by to run errands with me who also enjoyed a bowl, and THEN we had more for dinner last night. Doubling the recipe worked well for us, particularly with the extra diners! I know I will be making this often!!

I had to make a few substitutions on the muffin recipe... the results were not so good.
Here is what I did with the Sour Cream Muffin Recipe:
2 cups self rising flour (2 cups flour, 3 tsps baking powder and 2 tsp salt)-I used whole what flour 2 sticks butter, melted
1/2 pint sour cream - I used fat free sour cream
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Combine all ingredients and spoon into small, ungreased muffin tins. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes. If you don't have a mini muffin tin, you can use a regular one but let the muffins cook, without peeking, for a full 30 minutes. I used regular size muffin pans - silicone ones... it made 12 and took 30 minutes for me.

Verdict:
I am not sure how these muffins are supposed to taste, but I am guessing not how mine did. When I realized I had fat free sour cream (generally what I prefer to buy, unless I get a great deal on the light version), I figured the lack of fat shouldn't make a difference given all the fat in the 2 sticks of butter.
However, I was very concerned about the whole wheat flour and how it would change the taste. We don't use lots of flour around here, so that just happened to be what I had in my baking supplies. I do know there is a big difference in taste between white and wheat products.
In the end.. Peter and I decided they were not "fit" for our guests... so I am guessing the whole wheat flour definitely ruined it... whether the fat free sour cream did too is still up in the there. The dogs have been enjoying them though. :-)
I will attempt the recipe again with regular flour to see much better they turn out. By the way the result should in no way affect any one's opinion of 4hats' recipe, but solely my baking and ingredient substitution skills!
Also while searching for more information about using whole wheat flour online, I ran across someone who claims that instead of substituting whole wheat flour in recipes for a better nutritional content, you can instead use 1/2 oatmeal flour with 1/2 regular flour. Oh and you make oatmeal flour, by just food processing oatmeal until its the consistency of flour. Neat! I want to try this too!!

1 comments:

Amiyrah March 18, 2010 at 5:21 PM  

Ha! Just saw this! Here are few things:

Yes, the flours make a BIG difference. This is not supposed to be a low-fat meal in any instance. This is mostly why I make it in the dead of winter when we need something to stick to the ribs and really add to the current fat in your body lol.

I gotta argue with you on one thing: this is still SO a lazy mom's recipe lol. The most work you do is peeling the potatoes. Even lazier would be to use box potatoes(which i've done from time to time). Plus, thats what we have kids for...to do the mundane things like peeling veggies for us. I started Sonny boy at 2 with his "special" peeler lol.

I hope your able to try it again next winter!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP