UGHHH Albertsons: Bait and Switch Trip

>> April 02, 2010

Ughh so frustrated with my "quick" trip to grab a few things.. seriously what is the point of rushing around to grab a few things, use self check out and when you go to use coupons and the whole ordeal takes another 20 minutes... UGHHHHHHH!!!!!


So 1st problem...
You have to give cashier all coupons now at self check out... (new rule, sign posted).. ok that is how it works at frys... but if I had realized that before I started checking out, I might have just gone through a regular line.


2nd problem...
Cashier comes over and after scanning each one, signs them.... seriously takes the time to stop and initial/sign each coupon.... (must be some new internal procedure)...


3rd problem...
When one of my coupons doesn't scan, says no item match, then he realizes that the IP's say Do Not Double on them.. even though of course they will auto double on their own.... so he starts going back through my stack and realizes I had a few double that "shouldn't have"


BIGGEST problem... they will not double DND Qs.. so annoying of a rule, I know other stores pull that crap, but they didn't advertise double/triple/Quad Qs with that restriction. So they get you to come in the store, do your shopping, waste your time checking out, then go through the coupon hassle, only to have them freak out and suspend your order... in order to fix it.


Next Problem... Suspending my order and taking it up to the cashier stand at self check out. Yah, I love more delays and issues. So he starts removing all my Qs from orders and then going back through and figuring out which ones to scan and which ones to manually enter.


Ongoing problem... Oh yeah so this was the end of our shopping adventure, Quinn is a crazed monkey wanting to help everyone else check out, push buttons, jump all over my cart, in general be a crazy toddler.. so keeping him calm, was fun.


Last Problem... Using my gift card to pay has been problematic. It no longer swipes, which means they have to manually enter the gift card numbers, which of course happens at other stores. However, cashiers aren't allowed to enter gift card numbers, without a manager override.. so this requires them to swipe the card multiple times (even when I tell them it has to be entered manually, because it has previously happened), then finally give up and input the gift card number.. then call for a manager.. who of course doesn't magically appear quickly. In fact, they often have to call twice... then the manager finally shows up, inserts their key and lets the override occur..


Oh and yeah they shorted me a monopoly piece. UGH!


Ok yeah so I am a little irritated. And of course the coupons that didn't double, I had regular MQ versions of..that wouldn't say DND on them. So HAD I KNOWN about this issue....I could have just brought the regular MQs, rather than the IP's...



So here is my order:

3 gallons Milk $2.08 each

3 Fiber One Yogurts $1.50 - (2) $0.50 IPs (not doubled) and $1 IP = $2.50 for all 3

1 Yoplait kids drinkable $1.50- $0.40 IP (not doubled) =$ 1.10

2 Betty Crocker Warm Delights $1.00 - $0.75 IPs (not doubled) = $0.25 each

4 Cream Cheese $1 each (wyb 4) - $0.55/2 IPs (did double)= $0.50 each

1 Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage $2.50- Monopoly free win = free
-$0.15 Bag Credit
Total $12.19

Oh and I think there might be a CAT for the cream cheese.. but since my order was suspended and moved over to the cashier check stand, I didn't get it! UGH!


Anyway, so I consider there advertising of Double/Triple/Quad coupons a Bait and Switch, particularly since the ad doesn't list the fact that they will not double DND Qs, nor does it have an asterisks or say see store for details or ANYTHING, that leads you to any restrictions.


10 comments:

Heather April 2, 2010 at 7:05 AM  

Ugh, that sounds like a nightmare!! Albertsons used to be so coupon friendly, I loved their SCO back in the day...before they all started closing.

I wander if the DND thing was a manager rule, or a new corporate thing?

Sheryl April 2, 2010 at 7:32 AM  

KC - I have had that experience, actually the last time I was there. And I did bring up the point of "why are you advertising doubles/triples/quads and then restricting us on DND? You did not advertise it?"

Each time they do that to me, so I gave up shopping. I left my cart, full of stuff. I look at their ad at times and think "oh gosh..I need to head in there" but every time I get the same old usual issue so I gave up shopping there and now just do SW and Frys. I know what it's like to have the crazy toddler - my daughter likes to jump all over and push buttons too!! :)

Amy @ Living The Domestic Life April 2, 2010 at 7:45 AM  

Bummer! Looks like you still snagged a few good deals!

kc April 2, 2010 at 7:55 AM  

Hi Guys!
There was a sign posted at the checkout about doubling Qs.. with the DND restriction, so I am not sure if it was a corporate or manager rule.

I agree.. they TOTALLY shouldn't pull a, "oooh we are doing a great special promo of doubling" without disclosing the DND policy. I know that Bashas and Frys can be strict about DND (at least my stores), so I already have those expectations walking in, and if they do double, its a bonus, or I only bring in Qs, that don't have that restriction. However, since Albies doesn't normally run this, they don't have a standing policy to be aware of.. Safeway is nice, since they don't seem to play that game with DND.

I was so tempted to leave my cart, but I wanted milk and cream cheese... and was just so tired already from the few other places we had ventured to already. It was truly a comedy of errors in chosing that location and self checkout... If I had just gone to another store or even used a regular checkout, then the only issue I would have had would be POSSIBLY the coupons not doubling (I am assuming that they aren't signing EVERY coupon that comes through regular lines) and all the excessive waiting I had to do to checkout as a result of this and the suspended order, etc, etc. Anyway, here I am ranting again. :-)

KM April 2, 2010 at 8:16 AM  

Grr! That makes me so mad for you! I have totally been there before - expecting doubles, so you don't bring the 1.00/1 MQs. SO IRRITATING because you could have gotten the coupon savings you were expecting. Lame, lame, lame. I would have been your coupon advocate had I been there - I am so sorry! AND the nerve of making you go through that ordeal with a toddler and being pregnant! Honestly Albie's! Hugs! :)

Julie April 2, 2010 at 2:32 PM  

I am SOO sorry! That's when I get frustrated and leave without buying anything!

Vikki April 2, 2010 at 8:06 PM  

I had the cashier initialing each Q last time I was in Albertsons. Takes up a lot of time and I'm sure the cashiers hate it. Honestly, between the hassles and not having many great deals lately, I haven't been going there much.

Stephanie April 2, 2010 at 8:16 PM  

Last time I went in, they initialed each coupon as well. It's a new policy. Hang in there!

kc April 2, 2010 at 9:38 PM  

Vikki and Stephanie,

Were you using self check out or a regular lane?? I only ask because I can MAYBE see where the initial is for self checkout, so they can "see" if the coupons were scanned by the cashier or the customer... since initially they still just scanned the coupons for me at my self check out machine (as opposed to frys who takes all the Qs to the cashier stand to scan).. Honestly if they are initially coupons in the regular check stands, I would be hard pressed to want to shop there. Particularly with many coupons because that would be sooooo annoying!!!

I did email Albies about the DND issue (mentioned that checking out took forever because of a couple of their policies, but didn't go into details). We will see what they say, I doubt anything helpful though.

Renee Richins April 3, 2010 at 3:26 PM  

I am not a fan of Albertson's because I always have coupon issues there. I was planning on trying to get the free Warm Delights, but I may just skip it, so I can avoid that store. Sorry you had so much trouble.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP