Potty Training: The Plan!

>> June 13, 2010


So we have owned this potty for about a year now. We bought it early on to get Q used to sitting on it. We practiced on and off, as his interest and attention span allowed. He has definitely went through several phases of going "potty" often. He really likes to sit there and have mommy read him books too.

I originally wanted to start (and complete) potty training prior to E being born, but I didn't feel like he even close to being ready until I was 8 months pregnant. And the thought of the time and energy involved to potty train while 8+ months pregnant was just NOT something I wanted to experience.

So why now? E is now 2 months old and we are only 2 months away from the start of preschool. The preschool Q most likely will go to requires kids to be potty trained. So we need to get moving

I am going to use the cold turkey method.. or at least a modified cold turkey method. I don't plan on worrying about overnight/naps right away, so we will wear pulls ups for sleeping. Plus of course when swimming, he will need a swim diaper. However, other than those 2 times, I plan on just putting him in underwear.

I scored some cheap plain white little boys undies from Big Lots to use the first few days. I also bought a couple packages of fun undies that I plan on using after a few days as a reward and keep the process fun!

I found this cool printable potty sheet here. I am going to give one sticker for dry underwear, one sticker for pee in the potty and 2 stickers for going #2 in the potty. Then each time the row is full, he will get a potty present/prize. Of course lots of clapping, "good jobs" with each sticker as well.

I picked up quite a few new matchbox cars at bookmans ($1.50 each) to use as potty prizes. They were a bit more expensive than the $0.99 ones at Target, but since I used Bookmans credit (earned from my free magazines) they were all "Free" for me!

Another important thing is the time and schedule. We need to plan on being home for the first few days, no big adventures out so that we can get the hang of it!

So the game plan is to put on the big boy underwear when he wakes up on Day 1 and set the timer for 45 minutes. Then give him lots to drink as we hang out. Then every 45 minutes, check to see if we are dry (1 sticker) and then try to pee in the potty (another sticker). Every time we get a row full, he will get a potty prize/present. I also plan on keeping the potty in the living room with us (on a towel) to keep it easier to make it to the potty in time.

So that it's it.. that's the plan.

What do you think? Any experts out there?


7 comments:

mb,  June 14, 2010 at 6:13 AM  

In my house, all the prizes, stickers, etc didn't get our son potty trained. We truly had to wait for him to be ready. Another thing I learned... for our son, sleeping in diapers or pull-ups was a bad idea. It really prolonged the potty training process. I thought he'd have a lot of accidents at night, but he's only had a couple. Once we stopped using the diapers/pull-ups for naps/trips/overnight, he was truly potty trained!

mb,  June 14, 2010 at 6:13 AM  

Oh- one last thing: GOOD LUCK!!!

Anonymous,  June 14, 2010 at 6:29 AM  

Cheerios. Have you heard of about that? Throw some in and he aims for them. Also the M&M reward jar.
Cindy

Arizona Savings June 14, 2010 at 8:00 AM  

In preparation of potty training my 22 month old, I will be watching to see how it goes. Your plan sounds good to me! Good luck!

Bev,  June 14, 2010 at 9:22 AM  

Let me start by saying that I've had the joy of potty training countless kiddos in my 18 yrs of home daycare. Potty training isn't hard when the child is ready. The child must decide they want to learn or you're going to be hitting your head against the wall.
It sounds like Quinn is ready and you have a great plan in place.
I've always used charts with stickers, stamps and mini-m&m's as rewards.
I too use pull ups for sleeping but NO other time. It's easy for a child to get confused if you switch between big boy underwear, pullups, and diapers.
Once you start training- NEVER go back to a diaper.
I have a kiddo training DVD from my pull-ups house party. I'd be more than happy to mail you one if you'd like. I've always taken the lil ones to the library too and checked out several different books such as "Once upon a Potty". Do anything and everything to get him excited including lots of cheers and clapping when he uses the pot. Summer temps make it easy to allow him to run around the house in just his underwear. This makes it easy for him to get them off quickly and less laundry for you when he does have an accident. For the first couple of days I recommend staying at home as much as possible. I also suggest asking him to try to go potty every 20-30 minutes. After a few weeks and he becomes successful, it's easy to slowly discontinue the rewards.
It really sounds like you've done your homework. Quinn will be a big boy using the potty in no time!! GOOD LUCK

kc June 16, 2010 at 8:44 AM  

Thanks for the tips guys!

Bev.. I started with 45 minutes, but quickly adjusted that down. You are right 20-30 minutes is best!

I am not sure when we will venture out... soon, as we are already on day 4 now!!

Oh and COURTNEY.. I accidently deleted your comment.. but please email me at desertdealsdiva AT Gmail DOT com
Thanks!!

Courtney June 16, 2010 at 11:15 AM  

I just sent you the 3 Day Potty Training E-Book :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP